skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Broadway Hotel

Broadway Hotel.jpg


 Daniel Durrel purchased a sizable portion of the land surrounding St. John Street from the heirs of the Waldron family and in the early 1920’s he built his house on the corner of St. John and Charles (Broadway). By 1894 the house was owned by Daniel Bradley who, with the aid of a large loan, converted the house into the Broadway Hotel. When the Broadway opened its doors, there were 26 rooms, a dining room, steam heat and water, and gas—all for $2.00 a night. By the 1930’s the Broadway was known as the Strafford Inn. The hotel was owned by the Bradley family well into the 1940’s.
        From the 1983 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.