skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Little Bay Bridge/General Sullivan Bridge

Little bay bridge.jpg

 General Sullivan Bridge.jpg


The General Sullivan Bridge opened in 1934. The General Sullivan Bridge was the first span in New Hampshire to be designed as a continuous arched truss, without structural breaks at its supporting piers.  It was closed to automotive traffic in 1984 when it was bypassed by the second of two nearby Little Bay Bridges. It is open to pedestrians.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.